Monday, August 8, 2016

Whole 30 Week 1

Oh me oh my oh.

I've done two official rounds of Whole 30.  I've quit eating every kind of sugar twice and given up coffee multiple times.  I've experience the withdrawal migraines.  I'm not sure if my memory of those migraine pains have faded with time, but this week was BRU-TAL.

Days 1 and 2 were by far the worst.  I really experienced the meaning of a skull splitting headache.  Right in the frontal lobe.  And to add insult to injury, I agreed to attend a pizza birthday party with my son on day 2.  That was a definite what was I thinking moment.  I will say, in my defense, it was a Tuesday.  Who thinks a pizza place will be insane on a Tuesday?  The place was crammed to the walls with about a million kids.  At least that's what it felt like.  Big pat on the back to me, though, for saying no to the yummiest looking pizza ever (read - dripping with cheese).

By day 3 I was starting to feel a little bit better.  I didn't wake up with one of the skull splitters.  I did find myself struggling with my go-to breakfast casserole (sweet potatoes, ground pork, green beans, and egg).  It seemed way too salty and I really had to force myself to eat enough both days 3 and 4.  I figured out by day 4 that it had gone bad thanks to some intestinal disturbance.  At this point I was really having a hard time staying full.  I started looking for some ideas on Pinterest for high protein snack ideas.  I decided to just keep it simple and stick to plain protein.  I discovered some compliant lunch meat at Safeway - super delicious!  Now if the medium grade headaches both days would have stayed away, I would have really appreciated it!

Days 5, 6, and 7 were what mostly what I expected.  The headaches continued to decrease, but hung in there longer than I have experienced in the past.  We're dealing with a wild fire close to our house which is causing pretty dense smoke to settle in our area overnight.  I'm thinking that might be contributing to the headaches.  Fridays are called "Pizza Friday" in our house, because I realized years ago that I am just not up for cooking on Friday nights.  My son and husband still had their pizza, but I opted for left-overs.  We even went out to eat on Sunday night where, of course, I had to hound the waiter about ingredients.  Thankfully, he was kind enough to take a picture of the ingredients to their Cajun seasoning.  Surprisingly, it was all herbs!  That meant I had a fantastic piece of salmon with great seasoning.

I look forward to the coming week.  I'm hoping the headaches will finally subside.  I plan to keep an eye on that fire, to make sure it doesn't creep any closer to our home.  And since I'm less than two weeks away from starting my first day back to work teaching, I want to try to focus on finally getting our house unpacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment